Church History

UCClogo3History of Our Church

The story of Weimar United Church of Christ begins in the summer of 1900, when the Evangelical Lutheran Congregation was organized.  According to the writings of one of the earliest charter members of the congregation, "In October of the year 1900 (October 15th to be exact) a small group of people from Weimar and the Reverend Carl Kniker of Cibolo, Texas...met in the Christian Church to organize this congregation."  That began the birth of this congregation.  German and Czech pioneers, many of whom were first generation Americans, longed to have a place of worship for their families wherein they could worship as they desired.  They aligned themselves with the German Evangelical Lutheran Church and became "Die Evangelisch Lutherische Kirchen Gemeinde zu Weimar, Texas" as it is written on one of the church's stain glass windows in our sanctuary.   

 

The congregation worshiped in English and German for thirty years or more and in 1934 the Evangelical Synod of North America merged with the Reformed Church in the United States to become the Evangelical and Reformed Church.  The Weimar church changed its name to reflect this merger and became the Weimar Evangelical and Reformed Church. 

 

In 1957, the Evangelical and Reformed Church merged with the Congregational Churches to form the United Church of Christ with headquarters in Cleveland, Ohio.  The church at Weimar followed suit and changed its name to Weimar United Church of Christ which is its present name. 

 

The congregation began worship in 1902 in its first house of worship at the intersection of Summit and North Streets.  That church was white with a tall steeple and stained glass windows.  It had a balcony to accomodate worshipers.  Rev. Carl Kniker was the first pastor serving the church from 1900 to 1905.  By 1954, the church membership had grown to 250 and the parish hall was no longer adequate so the congregation voted to dismantle the old parish hall and to build a new education building on the same location.  This was accomplished in 1955.  In 1963, the congregation began discussing plans to build a new church sanctuary.  Final services in the old building were held on November 15, 1964.  The new church sanctuary was dedicated on September 26, 1965. 

 

Our congregation continues to maintain and improve its property and buildings in a variety of ways.  We are a congregation of nearly 300 members welcoming people of many traditions and backgrounds.  We are a mixture of tradition and innovation.  We attempt to seve God faithfully in Weimar and the surrounding world.  Ours is an inspiring story of many hard-working and dedicated folk who have built on the solid foundation laid down over 116 years ago.  The story has no end as we are always changing and welcoming any who would come and join us as we live out our faith journeys together. 

 

© 2018 Weimar United Church of Christ
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community